There is something almost magical about spending time in nature. Escaping from the hustle-and-bustle of everyday life and reconnecting with the outdoors rejuvenates your soul. Camping provides an opportunity to wake up to the sounds of birds singing, to feel the fresh air on your skin, and to spend time making memories with your loved ones.
Having the right gear can make a big difference in how enjoyable your adventures are. As a beginner, however, it isn’t always easy to know what to buy – especially if you visit a large camping supply store where the aisles are packed with supplies and equipment.
The good news is that you don’t need to spend a fortune on supplies to get started. You just need to pick up a few essential pieces of equipment. Over time, you can continue to add to your supplies to create a more comfortable camping experience. For your earliest camping adventures, however, you just need to make sure that you have the basics covered. Below, you can find a list of some of the most important supplies to purchase for your first few camping trips:
- A tent – Unless you are staying at a developed campground in an RV or cabin, you need to figure out what to do for shelter. In most cases, that means purchasing a tent. You don’t need to go with anything too fancy, to begin with. A midrange tent that is sized appropriately for the number of people who will be sleeping in it should be more than adequate.
- A sleeping bag and a pad – Sleeping bags provide essential warmth at night. Even during the summer, temperatures can get quite cold after the sun goes down. Look for a bag with an appropriate temperature rating, based on the time of year when you plan on camping. Don’t forget to buy a pad, as well, so that you don’t have uncomfortable rocks poking into your back while you try to sleep.
- A flashlight – Navigating a dark campground without a flashlight is practically impossible. Consider choosing one that you can hang inside your tent as a lantern.
- A first aid kit – Minor accidents and injuries are likely to happen. Make sure that you are prepared with a simple first aid kit.
- Basic cooking utensils – Consider choosing a simple mess kit that can do double-duty, allowing you to cook and eat your food from the same dish.
Along with the items on this list, you also need to purchase clothing and shoes that are appropriate for spending time outdoors. As long as you cover these basic supplies, you should have everything that you need to have a great time.